If you are considering applying for a bridging funding, here are some helpful tips:
- Compare products from different providers and be certain of the total cost of the loan, rather than just the interest rate. It’s tempting to go for the lowest interest rate, but lenders may charge large exit fees, fund management fees and other hidden costs. Always ask for a breakdown of the total cost before proceeding as this makes it much easier to evaluate different providers. Richmond Asset Finance are completely transparent and will always advise you.
- When you are looking for a provider, make sure that the lender knows your timescales and check that they can deliver on time – don’t be afraid to ask questions and don’t waste your time with a provider which won’t be able to deliver.
- The amount of money that you can borrow as a bridging loan can vary widely between applicants and is dependent upon several factors. These include the type of property being purchased/renovated/converted; the value of the property; the loan term and interest rate offered by the lender; and your security and proposed exit strategy.
- You will need to inform your lender about the property, as it is this that is used to secure the loan (the sale of which is your exit strategy for the loan repayment); having an exit strategy in place is crucial to avoid running into difficulty.
- The repayment terms can often be amended to suit you, however, you are usually required to pay back the loan within a year. The application process is typically far simpler than for other types of borrowing and applications can complete very quickly, usually in five to 14 days.